Biker Jargon

Ever hang around with bikers or motorcycle clubs and have no idea what they are talking about? Here is some info to get you started!


1%'er (One-Percenter): If 99% of motorcycle riders are law-abiding members of society, the rest is the 1%. Indicated through a patch or tattoo, usually on a diamond shaped back field. Also referred to as outlaw clubs.

3-Piece Patch/3 Patch: A configuration of back patches used by some motorcycle clubs with a top patch (club's name), a center patch (club's logo), and a bottom patch (geographical territory). Top and bottom patches are referred to as "Rockers."

81: The eighth letter of the alphabet (H) and the first letter (A). Stands for Hell's Angels
86: 8 miles out, 6 feet deep. Not a good thing

Ape Hangers: High handlebars that rise above the rider's shoulders, The rider assumes a posture reminiscent of an ape hanging from a branch.
ATGATT: All the gear, all the time

BACA: Bikers Against Child Abuse
Backyard: A place you ride often and feel at home
Baffle: A sound deadening wall inside a muffler.
Bagger: A motorcycle equipped with saddlebags, usually referring to a large motorcycle with hard-side bags and full touring gear.
Big Twin: A large V-Twin engine, especially the larger Harley Davidson engines.
Biker friendly: A business that likes serving bikers and has no problem with colors and leathers.
Bobber: A motorcycle customized by bobbing (shortening) the fenders. Among the earliest of custom motorcycles. Enjoying a resurgence in popularity today.
Busa: Nickname for the Suzuki Hayabusa sport bike.

Cage: Car, truck, or van.
Cager: Person in a car, truck, or van.
Center patch: The insignia of the club. The middle patch between the top and bottom rocker, centered on the rider’s back.
Chicken Strips: The tread remaining on the sidewalls of a motorcycle. The less chicken strips, the more angle you will have used when taking curves.
Chopper: Type of motorcycle that was either modified from an original motorcycle design ("chopped") or built from scratch to have a hand-crafted appearance.
Church: A club meeting.
CMA: Christian Motorcycle Association
Colors: Patches, logo, uniform associated with a Motorcycle Club
Crash bars: Engine guards
Cut: Leather Vest on which patches are sown. Also referred to as a kutte.

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Getting Patched: Graduating from prospect to club member (getting your center patch).
Gixxer: Suzuki GSX-R sportbike

Hang Around: A person that "hangs around" a motorcycle club and may be interested in joining.
Hardtail: A rigid motorcycle frame with no shock absorbers
HOG: Harley Owners Group 

Ink slinger: A tattoo artist

Lane Splitting:
Driving between lanes of traffic traveling in the same direction either at speed or when traffic is stopped
LFRF: Live Free Rdie Free
Lone Wolf: A biker with no club affiliation.

MC / MCC: Motorcycle Club
MLHR: Much Loyalty Honor Respect

Old Lady: This is a term of endearment for a biker's girlfriend or wife
Outlaw Motorcycle Gang
Out Bad: Out in Bad Standing is a term for banishment when a member is expelled from a club

Pillion: Passenger on a motorcycle
PMS: An acronym for Parked Motorcycle Syndrome
Poker Run: A motorcycle run involving usually five stops where you get a card. At the end of the run, the biker with the best hand wins the run. Often used in charity runs.
Prospect: A prospective club member.

RC: Road Captain or Riding Club
Road rash: What’s left after the stripping away of skin from unprotected parts of your body as you slide down the roadway during a crash
RUB: Rich Urban Biker

SC: Social Club
Sissy Bar: The backrest put behind the pillion part of the saddle.
Stoppie: A reverse wheelie. While a wheelie stands the bike up on the back wheel, a stoppie stands it up on the front
SQUID: Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Imminently Dead. Reserved for inexperienced riders who ride too fast and dress inappropriately for the road

Tank Slapper: An extreme speed wobble where the handlebars violently bang (or “slap”) against either side of the gas tank.
Term for roads with a lot of curves.

Weekend Warrior: Occasional biker. Just goes out for a cruise on weekends, as opposed to a daily ride.